small .BMP library

Search this archive.

From: Grant Byers (glbyers@bigpond.net.au)
Date: Tue 27 May 2003 - 15:43:29 IDT

Hi guys,

Was just having a play with SVGAlib and reading the list archive and saw
a few requests for information on reading .BMP images.

Last semester i wrote a small bitmap library for my own personal use. It
works nicely for me, and is quite easy to read ;-)

So far, it does the following:
. reads 24 bit non-RLE encoded windows bitmap images, the most common of
  the device independant bitmaps you find.
. handles allocation and deallocation of memory within the library.
. provides a funtion for outputting detailed info about the image.
. works on both big and little endian machines.
. seems to be quite portable. (tested on Windows, IRIX and Linux)
. all wrapped up in structs, with convenience functions for accessing the
  raster image directly, width and height, although these can be accessed
  directly through the structs members.

I have GPL'ed the code, so it's free to use, modify whatever.
If you'd like to use it, you can find the source, along with an example of
use at http://redgum.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au/~glbyers/bmp.html

I'm quite happy to support it and am anxious for feedback, so please don't
hesitate ;-)

Cheers,
Grant